Being a Better Human doesn't have to be rocket science. It doesn't have to be about how many books you read, or what time you get up in the morning. Yes, those things can help but let's get to the basics.
1. Be kind. Seems so simple, right? But we still need the reminder. Kindness breeds kindness. Put your phone down, look someone in the eye and say, "thank you". Make someone's day. Smile and be kind.
2. Care about and help others. Help people. Care about them. Be their friend. Give back. Regina Brett wrote, "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back." You may have issues, but who doesn't? It's not about who's problems are worse, it's about helping others when they need it.
3. Be grateful for what you have. Say thank you, every day. Thank you for being able to breathe, sleep in a bed, have clean water, the list could go on. Don't focus on what you don't have but rather what you do. Gratitude, your life will change when you have it.
4. Enjoy every day like it's your last. You may hear this a lot, but are you really doing it? You only live once. Are you dwelling on the past or waiting for the future? It's time to live in the moment. Quit saying no. Say yes. Take every opportunity that's given to you. Live each day to the fullest.
5. Worry less. There's a Buddhist saying that goes, "If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good." Case closed.
6. Love more. Our motto, love wins. In every instance. So love more. Love everyone. Love often. Love is so much easier than hate. Love makes people feel good. Like Marvin Gaye sang, "Only love can conquer hate."
7. Set an example for your kids. Do as I say not as I do. Sound familiar? Would you be surprised to hear that your children got that awful habit from you? Show them the person you want them to be. You are their biggest role model.
8. Being "rich" involves much more than just money. What do we all want? A bigger house, a nicer car, a new outfit, MORE MONEY. We're so hung up on material things. Yes, we do need money to live, but we could also be rich in other ways.
9. Listen. This is a tough one. We know. We have a thousand things to do and a thousand places to be. But sometimes people just want you to listen to them. Really listen. Slow down, take a second, and listen.
10. Forgive. This might be the hardest one. If you can't forgive or you can't let go, there will always be that negativity inside of you. If you are handed it, you can handle it. See the lessons that the experience taught you and forgive.
Being a Better Human isn't something you do when you make X amount of money, or when you're a leader. It's what you can do every day, starting today. These 10 ideas are simple and straight forward yet the easiest to forget.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
YOU GO FIRST.
Pick your own damn self. Want to be a leader? Start acting like one right now. Whatever position you're in, whatever company, whatever location - it does not matter. Be the best at you and your job. Show us that you can, on a consistent, every day kinda thing, show up and do good work. Your mere presence inspires greatness.
Sometimes we take for granted those around us. We forget what it feels like to have someone there every day, to be surrounded by others on your team, company, organization, neighborhood or even your family.
One simple phrase, “so glad you are here”...is life changing.