Sometimes I feel that I would be happier if the sun was out and shining… I would be happier if there was less traffic… I’d be happy if I didn’t have to wake up at 5:00 am…
Your happiness starts and ends with you. Not the weather, your daily commute, or your alarm clock. Find yourself not consistently happy - then change your life! Don’t know where to start? Read below from the article 12 Things That Happy People Do -- and Why I Started Doing Them by Jakob Sokol:
- Express gratitude. -- When you appreciate what you have, what you have appreciates in value. We're gonna have a hard time ever being happy if we aren't thankful for what we already have.
- Cultivate optimism. -- People who think optimistically see the world as a place packed with endless opportunities, especially in trying times .
- Avoid over-thinking and social comparison. -- Comparing yourself to someone else can be poisonous. If you feel called to compare yourself to something, compare yourself to an earlier version of yourself.
- Practice acts of kindness. -- Performing an act of kindness releases serotonin in your brain. (Serotonin is a substance that has TREMENDOUS health benefits, including making us feel more blissful.) Selflessly helping someone is a super powerful way to feel good inside.
- Nurture social relationships. -- The happiest people on the planet are the ones who have deep, meaningful relationships. There's a warm fuzzy feeling that comes from having an active circle of good friends who you can share your experiences with. We feel connected and a part of something more meaningful than our lonesome existence.
- Develop strategies for coping. -- How you respond to the "craptastic" moments is what shapes your character. It helps to have healthy strategies for coping pre-rehearsed, on-call, and in your arsenal at your disposal.
- Learn to forgive. -- Harboring feelings of hatred is horrible for your well-being. You put yourself in a state of suckerism (technical term) and it stays with you throughout your day.
- Increase flow experiences. -- Flow is a state in which it feels like time stands still. It's when you're so focused on what you're doing that you become one with the task.
- Savor life's joys. -- When we neglect to appreciate, we rob the moment of its magic. It's the simple things in life that can be the most rewarding if we remember to fully experience them.
- Commit to your goals. -- Being wholeheartedly dedicated to doing something comes fully-equipped with an ineffable force. When you're fully committed to doing something, you have no choice but to do that thing. Counter-intuitively, having no option -- where you can't change your mind -- subconsciously makes humans happier because they know part of their purpose.
- Practice spirituality. -- When we practice spirituality or religion, we recognize that life is bigger than us. It enables us to connect to the source of all creation and embrace a connectedness with everything that exists.
- Take care of your body. -- Taking care of your body is crucial to being the happiest person you can be. If you don't have your physical energy in good shape, then your mental energy (your focus), your emotional energy (your feelings), and your spiritual energy (your purpose) will all be negatively affected.
Happiness is a state of mind that you can resurrect. Use these, practice them daily - and let yourself BE HAPPY. To be a better human we must first start by being happy.